Thursday, October 25, 2012

Baby steps

My brother and I. circa 1985
My yoga teacher said this in class today and I wanted to write it somewhere so I don't forget it: "What you think today, you will be in five years. So think that you are beautiful and gorgeous." I'm beginning to think its true, that what we think in our heads we create in our life.  So I'm going to give myself permission to think a little bit brighter and a little bit bigger.

Similarly, I read this article today about having the courage to dream big dreams for your life. Its funny, how dreaming big is a no brainer in kindergarten, but somewhere along the way of life, we get beat down a little too much and big dreams become a little too ridiculous and a little too scary.

Maybe it doesn't have to be that way. Apparently, we can start just inside of our heads, thinking better thoughts. That's not so scary. And then, perhaps take a few small steps.

You should know, I think baby steps are totally underrated. I love them. Oftentimes, a few small actions in one direction create a wave of enormous change. One time, when my brother was about seven, he was playing in the cotton fields at our house in Texas. He decided to make a tiny hole in a irrigation canal to make himself a little pool. In a few minutes he had flooded a field.

I think it could be like that.


The encouraging article is here.
Take note the author is wearing teeki's recycled-from-plastic bottles-pants. The California Fall Hot Pant to be specific. This is a blog about yoga clothes after all.



No comments: